Friday, August 22, 2014

"A good day"? If it happened to Dilbert, it could happen to you! (But maybe not to me, I think?)

>

Plus Cartoon Alert: Duck Amuck this weekend!

DILBERT by Scott Adams -- August 13

Click to enlarge. And wait, there's more!

by Ken

Yesterday morning, I think it was, yes I'm pretty sure it was yesterday, or almost sure (it seems somehow longer ago), I had the strange but unmistakable sensation of having a good day. Felt OK, work was OK, no personal disasters that I was aware of were impending. (Non-personal disasters didn't count. That was maybe kind of the point.) So naturally I flashed back to Dilbert's recent good day.

Today I don't remember much more than what I just told you about that "good day" sensation -- what it was all about or what happened to it. I just remember that it felt nice while it was happening, for as long as it kept happening. So in memory of that brief shining moment (yes, there was that "bubble of optimism," definitely, just like Dilbert says!), and perhaps in a no-doubt-futile attempt to recapture and/or extend it, I dug the relevant Dilbert strips out.

DILBERT by Scott Adams -- August 14

[Click to enlarge.]

DILBERT by Scott Adams -- August 15

[Click to enlarge.]

Well, it was nice while it lasted, that good hour-or-so. Even if it was only in my mind.

Have a good day! (And I mean it. And you can tell because it doesn't cost me anything to wish you a sincerely good day.)


DUCK ALERT: TRY TO GET TO THE MUSEUM OF
THE MOVING IMAGE SATURDAY OR SUNDAY


In connection with the splendid exhibition "What's Up, Doc? The Animation Art of Chuck Jones," which I mentioned here last month, running through January 19, this week's hour-long "Chuck Jones Matinee" (at 12:30 Saturday, 1 on Sunday; free with museum admission, but tickets are first-come, first-served unless you're a member, in which case you can reserve ahead) includes:

• the greatest cartoon ever made, Duck Amuck (1959), starring the hardest-working waterfowl in show business, Daffy Duck -- seriously, you'll finally understand what the easily misunderstood Daffy's life's work is all about.

• the best-known of all classical-music-related cartoons, What's Opera, Doc?

I'm actually not that crazy about What's Opera, Doc?, and while I won't mind seeing it again -- ini 35mm on a nice big screen -- it's for the sake of Duck Amuck that I'm going to try to get there Sunday (on Saturday I'll be "hiking the hills" of Freshkills Park, the immense new park being created on top of the old garbage landfill), even though I've seen it on the nice screen set up as part of the exhibition and I have it on DVD. I don't want to miss this chance to see it in a good 35mm print on a big screen. You should try to too.
#

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home