Tuesday, June 03, 2014

"The point is, the Internet in its current form is not broken. And the FCC is currently taking steps to fix that" (John Oliver)

>


No, sorry, I'm not even going to tell you about the coyote urine.

by Ken

Quietly, and often not so quietly, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart has served as a launching pad for gleefully troublemaking media talent. I would hate to try to rank the bulging roster of impressive Daily Show alums, but by any standard the amazing John Oliver is pretty amazing. And HBO's late-night Sunday Last Week Tonight with John Oliver has quickly shown amazing energy and grit.

But this week's take on net neutrality was something else again, starting from the premise that few things are as dull as the phrase "net neutrality" or the way it's often talked about, and yet it remains a subject of considerable performance. You really do have to watch it, so I'm not going to attempt to parse or break it down for you. I know I hate it when blogger-type people do that -- try to make me watch a clip whether I want to watch a clip or not. In this, case, though, you'll thank me. I'm not even to tell you the part about the coyote urine.

However, Daily Kos's Joan McCarter has a fine post about it: "John Oliver on net neutrality: Call it 'preventing cable company f***ery'."
#

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home