Tuesday, May 27, 2014

An Alternative To A Coal Is King Mentality In Kentucky?

>


There's a debate raging among progressives about Bernie Sanders running for president. [Blue America is encouraging him to run.] Most progressives-- or at least the ones I talk to-- think he should run. Some want him to run, as he has for his entire career, as an Independent. He would be on the ballot as an alternative to the two corporate shills the Republicans and the Democrats put up. Others want him to run in the primary as a Democrat-- something he has never done in his entire life-- so that he could debate Hillary Clinton on the issues she would rather not discuss, like economic inequality and corporate trade policies that have devastated the American middle class.

There's a similar dynamic playing out in Kentucky, where independent-minded progressive Democrat, Ed Marksberry has withdrawn from the Democratic primary-- when the Democratic Party elites and their Establishment stacked the deck unfairly against his long-shot bid-- and is now running as an independent against both horrible status quo, corporate-zombie candidates, Mitch McConnell ® and Alison Lundergan Grimes (D).

Ed lis ooking for some help to accelerate the collection of the 5,000 signatures he needs to get his name on the ballot. McConnell, a reviled underdog, is challenging Alison Lundergan Grimes to 3 debates and if Ed can get the signatures in time, he's likely to be able to join the debate(s). The issues he's talking about are not the issues either of the corporate candidates want to discuss.

"I know a lot of people," he told me this morning, "are asking why I decided to run as an Independent instead of just hanging in there and waiting for a better opportunity. The reason is simple; I found out that the establishment doesn't give a fuck about people like myself and it's not going to change. I'm okay with that and it feels pretty good being an Independent.

But I am worried about Climate Change and how backwards-ass our political leaders in Kentucky are and the strangle-hold King Coal has on them. This is an opportunity in the most the most watched US Senate race to take a chance to expose the truth about Climate Change." This is from a letter he sent to supporters in Kentucky today:
Climate Change is here and it is time we take action.

But here in Kentucky we have a monumental problem with both prominent candidates for the US Senate race; Mitch McConnell and Alison Lundergan Grimes. They are both fighting over King Coal’s political backing and money to fuel their campaigns.

Mitch McConnell and Alison Lundergan Grimes lack the political courage we need to explain the truth about coal and how it contributes to Climate Change.

I’m running as an Independent candidate who wants to tell the truth about Climate Change right here in the heart of Coal Country.

This US Senate race will give us national prominence about the effects of Coal and Climate Change. The people of Kentucky need to hear the devastation that Climate Change will bring to the world if we do nothing about it now!

I’m not running to win; I’m running to influence the conversation about Climate Change, because if the good folks of Kentucky aren’t exposed to the truth, they will never change their hearts about Coal and Climate Change.

You see, sometimes you have to go right at the root of the problem even if it’s not the most popular thing to do at the time. But time is something we no longer have. And I need your help.

To have my name on the ballot I have to collect 5000 signatures. I’m well on my way but the quicker we get all 5000 signature the faster my voice we be heard in the media.

I’m pleading to you to support my campaign with any donation you can spare. Our goal is just $5000.00 over the next week. These donations will be used only to help collect the 5000 signatures.

You can donate by going to my website or clicking on the following link.

www.Marksberry2014.com

http://marksberry2014.com/donate-3/

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Richard Crews said...

I am completely against an Independent/independent progressive third party spoiler. A bad Dem is still counted when looking for a majority, so we can run the committees.
And. taking the minority leaders seat is just delicious. A progressive third party in Kentucky, especially this year, is NUTS!
I have no problem with primary challenges and a Leftist exposure. I'm very Left myself, but pragmatic.

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger Dameocrat said...

I don't give a damn about this type of democrat and don't think they contribute much to the fortunes of progressivism even if they establish a majority for the democrats. They still sellout on issues we care about. So I would support his candidacy. He may spoil her, aka make her lose. Well she is going to have to run smarter and move left. Climate change deniers simply have no right to expect my vote period.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home