Thursday, December 05, 2013

Guest Post From John Bohlinger, Montana's Progressive Candidate For The Senate-- And An Ex-Republican

>


This week I visited with John Bohlinger, the progressive in Montana's U.S. Senate race. A former Republican state legislator, John switched parties from the GOP to the Democrats and I asked him to explain why. I'm always curious about what make someone switch. Sometimes-- like Charlie Crist or Patrick Murphy in Florida-- it's just opportunism. But it wasn't opportunism for Elizabeth Warren or for Jason Thigpen when they became Democrats. Sometimes, it's about values and a vision for the country, not about careerism. So I asked John, whose race we've already been covering here to write a guest post introducing himself and telling everyone what made him switch parties.

Growth in Political Thought
by John Bohlinger, Montana Democratic Candidate for the U.S. Senate


I became of age politically when David Dwight Eisenhower ran for the Presidency in 1953. During his 2 terms he led the Republican Party and their progressive agenda that included such things as deficit spending to strengthen the economy, and increasing taxes to balance the budget. He was also a proponent of expanding the role of the Government in areas of public health and human services, as well as running his Administration on sound business principles.

His leadership influenced many progressive thinkers to find a home in the Republican Party. I did not wear the label well, in that I think of myself as Moderate, and chose to support candidates whose agendas came closer to matching mine.

For many years, I wanted to be a candidate for office, but delayed that decision because I had 6 children at home, and had a business to run. I did not think it would be fair to my family if I chose to run for office, nor would it be wise for me to take positions that might offend half of my customers.

After my children were raised, and I had sold my business, I was now able to run for the Montana Legislature. I chose to run as a Republican, because there was still room for Moderates in the Party of Ike. I was elected to the Montana House of Representatives in 1992, and after my first term, realized that I did not fit in their caucus. I got little support for the issues I brought forward from my Republican colleagues. I thought about jumping ship and running as a Democrat in the 1994 election cycle, but was talked out of it by a friend and political reporter from the Billings Gazette. He told me to stay and be a conscience for the Republican Party.

I stayed in the Republican Party, where I was elected to 3 terms to our House of Representatives and 2 terms to our State Senate, but always with Primary opposition. During my time there I brought forward Bills that cleaned up air quality standards for SO2 emissions, a school weapons Bill, a Bill that would add to our Human Rights sexual orientation, a Bill that would make pimping a felony, and many others.

It was in the 2001 Session we were debating HB 2, the General Fund Bill. It was crafted in the Republican controlled House, and omitted funding for 3 important Human Service efforts of previous Legislatures. It was their plan to no longer buy drugs for the mentally ill, or day-care services for young mothers, but the straw that broke this camel’s back came when they proposed to reduce their commitment to the Meals on Wheels program.

I stood on the Senate floor I told them I couldn’t support the budget bill because I felt purchasing drugs for the mentally ill allowed them to go to work and have a normal life. If we discontinued this program, they would find themselves in our jails or the emergency rooms of our hospitals. I told them that paying for day-care allowed these young women to continue their education, rather than stay home and take care of their babies. The Meals on Wheels Program allowed elderly people of lesser means a source of sustenance. God tells us to feed the hungry, this is not optional!

I came 7 votes short of the bold move of collapsing the Session, which would have allowed me to bring forward some revenue Bills, but it did get Brian Schweitzer’s attention, who appreciated my courage to speak out on these important matters. Brian was a declared Democratic candidate for Governor, and looking for a running mate. He and I formed a partnership that reached across the aisle to bring Democrats and Republicans together.

We were elected Governor and Lt. Governor in 2004 and re-elected in 2008, in what has been called the most effective administration in Montana’s history. When we came into office in 2005 we inherited an ending fund balance of almost $50 million, when we left office in January of 2013, we passed off an ending fund balance of $450 million. We did so without raising taxes, we put historic amounts of new money into education and the human services functions of government. We developed our natural resources and we put Montanans to work.

It was in the Democratic Schweitzer administration I found my political home, one that looked like Ike’s. It is my experience there is no room for Moderates in today’s Republican Party, they have been crowded out by the Tea Party Members. Moderates have either become Independents or Democrats, and I choose to become a Democrat.

If you look at trends in political thought, you will find the electorate is progressing. For instance, look at marriage equality… the country has progressed on the issue. Look at health care, Americans want universal health care: we do not have to do polling to discover that.

I have been part of this journey of progress over the past 20 years. I can empathize with those who have yet to cross the bridge, and in this campaign I hope our leadership can bring others on this journey of progress, for a more just and prosperous future.

We need greater numbers of people to overcome the special interests and their enormous sums of money. Having made the journey myself I am the best messenger to bring more people along with us.

Together, we can beat the Tea Party nominee in November and hold Democratic control of the US Senate. Then together, we must get right to work fixing DC. Brian Schweitzer and I have a success story, we saved Montana. Now it’s time to save our country.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous me said...

OK, I read it. I tried to keep an open mind and read it. But I ended up less than impressed.

Bohlinger seems to present Eisenhower as a model president. IMO, Eisenhower made a much better general than president. He wasn't terrible, which makes him certainly one of the least bad republican presidents since Lincoln. But he wasn't good either. I would have preferred Stevenson.

And Bohlinger's endorsement of "sound business principles" as a philosophy of government is a non-starter. I'm all in favor of competence and efficiency - but that's where the similarity ends. A government is not, should not, cannot be like a business entity. The goals of each are not remotely the same, and in fact are often in conflict with each other.

You want examples? Think of our last "business-minded republican" president - Warren G. Harding. How'd that turn out? Or our last MBA president - G.W. Bush. Anyone looking for a repeat of that?

Now think of our most successful recent president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Did HE run government like a business?

No, no, a thousand times NO! We do NOT need or want government run like a business.

Reading on, I see that Bohlinger counts as one of his accomplishments a bill that would make pimping a felony. WTF? All the problems we've got, and one of his major concerns is pimping?? That one would have difficulty making it into my Top 100 Concerns list.


So now, after sitting quietly through the brazen criminality of Nixon, the disaster that was Reagan, and the nation-threatening catastrophe that was Bush, NOW Bohlinger wants to call himself a Progressive Democrat? I don't think so. No, I don't think so at all.

He might make it as a self-proclaimed "moderate" Republican, except that the Republican party has been taken over by teabaggers. (And what else can be expected, given the unimpeded rich-man control of the courts that resulted from 24 years of Nixon, Ford, Reagan, and Bush?) But as a Democrat? I repeat, No.

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous me said...

PS. Eisenhower gave us NIXON.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home