Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sean Spicer-- RNC Secret Agent Man-- And Social Media

>

Sean Spicer takes one on the snout from Brad Woodhouse

-by Juan Adams

I recently attended a Politico Pro Technology breakfast where one of the guest panelists was RNC Communications Director, Sean Spicer. The topic centered on politics in the digital era and there was broad discussion on data mining, campaigning through social networks, diversity outreach and all manner of fascinating uses for information gleaned from the nation's digital inter-connectivity. Toward the end of the discussion, moderator and Politico Pro technology reporter, Tony Romm, said, "Speaking of diversity, I am curious as to whether you all think there is a particular demographic or group of people that all this online work is not reaching."

Spicer replied, "I mean... I wish I could tell you the answer to that. I mean, you kind of don't know who you don't know."

I had gotten a late start that morning and rushed the few blocks over to where the event was being held without having done much research. But after the event ended, I hit the buffet table for a couple of Evians and a cup of strong coffee. While standing there with my iPhone, I bothered to log on to the GOP.com website and noticed that across the top of the page, there were links aimed at GOP Women and a brand new link for GOP Hispanics which gave an option for registering to volunteer for the campaign. There was even a more secure "direct link" to the data mining company handling the registration process for those Hispanics in fear of giving their personal information directly to the RNC! What was missing were any links for the African American or LGBT communities. Shocking...

It was too late to ask Mr. Spicer why he did not seem to notice or at least acknowledge that these specific and diverse communities had been overlooked. But as luck would have it, my hanging around for some free water put me at the exit of the building just as Spicer was leaving. He was chatting with another person and I did not want to be rude so I waited a few minutes for what sounded like a break in their conversation.

Just as I spoke up and asked, "Why hasn't the GOP used social networking as an outreach tool for the black and gay communities?" I learned that not only will a D.C. cab not stop for a black guy, one will magically appear for a white guy just in time for him to avoid answering a difficult question! I walked back to my home at 10am in 90 degree heat, all pissed off and just forgot about the whole affair. That is until I was watching a segment on the July 12 edition of The Rachel Maddow Show. She so mercilessly teased and taunted the GOP for their failure and broken promise of setting up an African American website, that today they actually did it! And here I though Uncle Mitt wern't gone gib us no mo free stuff...

So, Mr. Spicer... If I tell you what you don't know that I do know about Larry Craig, will you set up a GOP Gay site?


UPDATE: By The Way, How's Spicer Handling This One?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home