Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Something Happened In Throckmorton County, Texas Last Night... Thank God It Wasn't Another Lynching This Time

>


Throckmorton County is a tiny rural affair in north central Texas. There's no city and the population was 1,641 as of the 2010 census. There are two African-Americans, 152 Latinos, 7 Asians and a Native American living among all the white folks there. Throckmorton, with a long history of lynchings, was considered a "no-go zone" for black Americans. Doesn't look like that's changed much. The population has been steadily dropping. Yesterday the county switched from faux Democrat-- it was a Blue Doggie haven-- to Republican.

In 2008, the state of Texas voted 55% for McCain and 44% for Obama. Throckmorton County only gave Obama 20% of its vote, the identical percentage that voted against the deranged far right incumbent Republican congressman, Mac Thornberry. (Thornberry was reelected with 77% of the vote district-wide, so Throckmorton was even 3 points crazier than the rest of the 13th congressional district. Two years ago the Democrats didn't even manage to nominate an opponent for Thornberry-- and when Rick Perry was beating conservative Democrat Bill White 55-42% statewide in the governor's race, Throckmorton gave Perry a far more generous 74%.

Yesterday evening, at a staged event at the county courthouse-- not as exciting as a lynching, no doubt but people in Throckmorton are grateful for whatever entertainment they get these days-- all the county officials officially switched to the Republican Party. County Judge Trey Carrington, Sheriff John Riley, Treasurer Brenda Rankin, County Clerk Susie Walraven, Justice of the Peace Billy Ray Fowler, County commissioners Casey Wells, Wilton Cantrell and Johnny Jones all drank the koolaid. The featured speakers were Texas Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples and Texas Republican Party Chairman Steve Munisteri. The event was spoiled when God showed his disapproval with sudden thunderstorms.

Commissioner Cantrell said there isn't a Democratic Party in the county anymore. Munisteri said it was the first time in Texas history that a county has gone from having only a Democratic primary to having only a Republican primary. Brad Bellah, the Republican Party county chairman, said that "the significance is that Throckmorton County is still a one-party county, but now it's a Republican county. With the current administration (in Washington), the county didn't want to be identified as a Democratic county." He noted that none of the county officials had to switch their political philosophy when they jumped the fence. That pretty much holds true for almost every Blue Dog, especially the southern ones.

The end of the Democratic Party in Throckmorton County is exactly where Steve Israel, Steny Hoyer, Joe Crowley and the rest of the corrupt DC Dems are taking the national Democratic Party. Blue Dogs are Republicans in all but name. That's the significance of what happened in Throckmorton County last night. And that's why Blue America works so hard to defeat Blue Dogs and their fellow travelers, the way we did in PA-17 (Tim Holden) last month and the way we are now in Albuquerque and Grand Rapids, where we are trying to help Eric Griego and Trevor Thomas win the Democratic nomination against right-wing faux Dems who will one day stand in front of a county courthouse and take off their blue tee-shirts and put on red ones.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Bigknife said...

First time reading your article and I use to be the ONLY black/native american in Throckmorton from 2006 til this article. I did NOT attend this event, and when I voted, the lady marked me as Republican and I requested the Secretary of State change it. I'm a democrat and so is the lady that I take care of. Well, from 2006 to 2008 or 2009 I and my EX boyfriend were the only blacks. There are two little black children living here now. I know our water lady's daughter is dating or married to a black man(Abilene,Tx). Our librarian's daughter is married to a black man(Ft.Worth). Anyway,My first year living here various caucasians and mexicans would say: You ain't black, you don't have any n***** in you. I would always respond with I don't like that word. Only ignorant people use it. They're response was well, I didn't mean no harm by it and yet, out of "being use to saying it" it comes naturally for them. Very small minded. Now there are some really great individuals here. I just keep to myself, and deal with it as it comes along, but I guess I am still living here because NO ONE is telling me the year a black man was hung at the ONLY traffic light and it was celebrated some time in the 80's! I thought maybe in the 50's or 60's. Your article is a breath of fresh air. I am sure many of the younger generations here are just afraid to stand up to their elders afraid to be cut off their money. I know a few who moved to enhance their love to many hoping their ancestry doesn't bite them in the butt. The people I know now are good people. Some in church, some not(I haven't joined any here)but I have attended. I don't find the events here "glorious" or praise worthy sometimes, but when and if I do go to like "cow country Christmas", I know there are many who find the past of Throckmorton TRAGIC. Thank you for blogging this...AHhhh.. I feel better.:)Native American/black american reader:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home