Friday, March 16, 2012

Steve Israel Specializes In Recruiting Republicans Like Joe Schwarz To Run As Democrats

>

Outside The Village, a "moderate Republican" would be a right-wing sociopath

The DCCC is doing what it likes best-- recruiting a rich Republican to run as a Democrat. This time, though, we're not talking about Florida but Michigan... and about someone who was already a House Republican. Joe Schwarz, who was mayor of Battle Creek from 1985-1987 and then a state senator for a decade and a half was elected to Congress from Michigan's 7th CD in 2004 and served one term before being ousted by Club for Growth-backed extremist Tim Walberg. He's universally described as a "moderate," which in plain English means he was a mainstream conservative rather than a neo-Nazi. He has always been "pro-Choice," although he voted for restrictions to women's Choice when he had the opportunity, favoring, for example, Chris Smith's HR 6099 which was designed to ensure that women seeking an abortion are forced to confront the pain allegedly experienced by their unborn fetus (an approach that has come back today as the GOP's transvaginal ultra sound attack on women's privacy). He also voted for other right-wing legislation that only DC insiders would term "moderate," like Bush's horrific anti-consumer, anti-family bankruptcy bill and for anti-worker legislation like CAFTA and Boehner's pernicious pension "protection" act and all the anti-immigrant legislation any right-wing xenophobe wanted to toss into the House well. But to an "ex"-Blue Dog like DCCC Chair Steve Israel, who has given the green light towards recruiting him... Schwarz is a "moderate."

Schwarz was born in the 1930s. Election Day is two weeks before his 75th birthday. What the hell is wrong with the DCCC? "We talked and have had very pleasant conversations about it,” Schwarz said. “The DCCC is correctly looking for a candidate to run in the 7th district because there certainly would be a stark contrast between Congressman Walberg and a viable, credible Democratic candidate... “I do think I would be the strongest candidate to take him on... I consider myself an independent,” he said. “I haven’t gone anywhere philosophically… I’m a fiscal conservative, someone who’s for a very strong military presence and someone who’s a social moderate.” In 2008, Schwarz worked for the McCain for President campaign. In Steve Israel's world, that's moderate too-- and qualifies you to run as a Democrat of course.

Calhoun County is the electoral base (and home) of both ex-Congressman Mark Schauer, a Democrat who Walberg defeated in 2010, and of Joe Schwarz. It's no longer part of the district, which played into Schauer's decision not to run again. Schwarz says he'll make up his mind in the next week or two whether or not to accept Israel's offer. The actual Democratic candidate in the district is Kurt Haskell, a pro-union attorney from Pinconning. He describes himself as a "moderate Democrat... a little left of center." The DCCC has studiously ignored him, although he won't be bullied out of the race and will face Schwarz in the Democratic primary if need be. I spoke to him this morning and this is what he told me:
Joe Schwarz is a Republican who doesn't live in the district and lost to incumbent Tim Walberg in the 2010 election. Joe Schwarz's base is in the Battle Creek area of Calhoun County. Due to redistricting, Calhoun County is no longer in the 7th District. I am flabbergasted that the Democratic Party, knowing that I am running for the seat, is promoting Joe Schwarz over myself. The voters of the 7th District deserve to have a choice between a Republican and a Democrat and not two Republicans. Joe Schwarz is a career politician and represents more of the same for the 7th District. I represent a new, positive mindset and a belief that the United States can once again become a great nation. Although I am not known in the political arena, I am known in the legal community. After coming from modest beginnings, I have built myself a very successful legal career as a self employed attorney. Nothing has ever been given to me. Everything I have was earned through hard work, determination and a desire to succeed. I am not running for office to become a career politician, for fame or for fortune. I seek only to usher in a more open and honest government of the people, by the people and for the people. Due to my involvement in the underwear bomber case, I have developed quite a following of supporters nationwide. My supporters have indicated a willingness to help support my campaign to whatever extent necessary to ensure my election to office. God willing and with the help of my supporters, we can accomplish our goal.


And as far as Schwarz being a "moderate," how moderate was this for the people of Michigan? Ask the DCCC next time they ask you for a contribution.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home