Friday, March 04, 2011

Sunday Classics special: Remembering Margaret Price, Part 1

>


by Ken

Earlier this week I took sad note of the passing, at age 69, of the fine Welsh-born soprano Margaret Price. It occurred to me as I was thinking about her voice and caree that there aren't that many sopranos we've heard sing Handel's Messiah and Wagner's Tristan und Isolde, and quickly another occurred to me. (I'm sure there are many others. I stopped thinking about it.) Admiittedly in the case of Isolde it never happened in the opera house -- but that too is true for both singers!

I thought we'd just go ahead and listen to them both, though for fun we won't identify Soprano B until the click-through.

HANDEL: Messiah: Part III, Aria, "I know that my Redeemer liveth"
I know that my Redeemer liveth,
and that he shall stand at the latter day
upon the earth. And tho' worms destroy
this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.
Job 19:25-26
I know that my Redeemer liveth.
For now is Christ risen from the dead,
the first fruits of them that sleep.
I Corinthians 15:20
Margaret Price, soprano; English Chamber Orchestra, Johannes Somary, cond. Vanguard, recorded July 1970
Who is "Soprano B"? She's identified in the click-through.

WHO IS SOPRANO B? TO HEAR BOTH SINGERS SING THE
LIEBESTOD, PLUS MORE MARGARET PRICE, CLICK HERE.

#

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home