Friday, November 19, 2010

What About 2012-- Guest Post From Michigan Democratic Candidate Lance Enderle... With An Open Letter To The President, DCCC & DNC

>


Lance Enderle's race in Michigan's 8th CD (a chunk of south-central Michigan from Grand Rapids to Lansing to the Detroit suburbs) against entrenched Republican incumbent Mike Rogers was especially strange because Rogers' original Democratic opponent was likely a Rogers plant who punked out on the race immediately after securing the Democratic ballot spot, a tactic that has been perfected over the years by Republicans, particularly Rogers' sleazy California crony Jerry Lewis. In 2006 Rogers had a slight scare from former FBI & CIA agent Jim Marcinkowski who wound up with 121,576 votes (43%) and won Ingham County (basically Lansing-- and the biggest in the district). In 2008, with Obama beating McCain 53-46%, Democrat Bob Alexander managed to win 145,491 votes (40%) and also win Ingham. This year, MI-08 followed the same pattern we saw everywhere in the country: Republicans and right-leaning independents came out en masse; Democrats and left-leaning independents just didn't come out to vote in healthy numbers. Lance wound up with 84,392 votes (34%) and was narrowly defeated, 44,204- 42,181 in Ingham. As of October 13 Rogers had raised $1,666,103; Lance had raised $10,959. After the campaign was over I asked Lance to give us an overview from the 8th about what had happened and what needs to happen going forward. His report:

For those of you who do not know who I am, I am Lance Enderle and I was the Democratic candidate for Michigan’s 8th Congressional district. I first have to say thank you to all of you who supported my Congressional campaign in MI-08, it was a privilege and an honor to do this for the people of Michigan, and the United States. Some of you are asking; “ So what? You were one of 243 Dems who lost.” This is true, but really I didn’t lose considering I am not a career politician and I got off the couch to serve my district this election cycle--yeah I GOT OFF THE COUCH! Most of you in America were not even aware of my candidacy. That is alright, neither was the DCCC, the DNC, nor the President. I wonder how many of the other 242 candidates were not even recognized by these three.

I need to explain my candidacy to you. In mid June, a week after Michigan’s filling deadline for the primary election, the Democratic candidate dropped out of the race. I know this sounds a little fishy, anyhow, the only way to replace this guy on the ballot was to have something tragic happen to him or someone had to run as a write-in candidate and beat him to remove his name from the ballot. Not one person stepped forward in MI-08 to take the challenge except me. I stepped forward after leaving politics 12 years prior because of the lack of integrity I saw in our system.

So I began the adventure. I was initially a write-in candidate and officially got on the ballot 3 and half weeks after the primary election. I received 35% percent of the vote in the general election. Did I say I only campaigned for 3 and half months and spent less than $15000? I didn’t do this for the fame or the glory, I ran for the people because they needed a voice that was theirs not special interests. I did this because I care about my fellow human beings. I stepped forward because I saw the chance to help my fellow citizens and our President. I took what the President said to the streets; “pick up a broom.” I was going to be “part of the solution.” I was telling people to call him President Obama, not Obama. Where was the President for me and the other 242 candidates across the country? Where were the DNC and DCCC? They were nowhere! It was as if someone or something had taken away their ability to speak (and possibly even their backbones) and their ability to stand up and fight for the people who elected them to serve.

This is an open letter to President Obama, the DCCC, and DNC.

Dear Mr. President, DCCC, and DNC,

I hope by the 2012 election that you are ready to fight and take this country back and help move us forward, instead of letting it shift farther backwards and into a fascist run state where corporations have more say than the people of this country. I am asking this as a foot soldier in the cause-- I was a Congressional candidate. I am telling you this because you didn’t know I was on the ballot. Maybe that is a reason why we lost. Do you not even know who all of your candidates are? If you are asking how to do I know this, the answer is simple--the DNC and DCCC had the other guy’s name who I replaced on the ballot on their website as did a few major media outlets (Washington Post and New York Times) days before the election. So if they couldn’t even care about helping a Democrat get proper listing in informational outlets, why would they care if they could win the seat or not? Do you have any answers? I do, especially if you want to win in 2012!

First, you need to address ALL of your candidates, not just a select few! Second, quit worrying about the money and get out on the streets with the people, the money will come! Next, learn how to communicate like you once did, speak to the people not at them. GET BACK TO BASICS!

Lastly, quit compromising with those who chose to not negotiate and spew lies and hate. As the Vice President’s late mother told him, you may just have to punch a bully in the nose to get them to back off and wake up. What I am saying is to stand up to these people and say it the way it really is-- be fair and right!

Also, quit worrying about poll numbers. I sure would have loved to have had you here in Michigan Mr. President. I am sorry your poll numbers told you differently because here in Michigan we take it to the bully’s backyard which is why I did doors in the county where my challenger lived, because I was not scared and I was on a mission for the people. Do you hear me Sir? You are a fighter, so quit giving in to these thug’s demands. If you do this I guarantee I have your back, as will the American People.

Remember we have just over 700 days left! We need to do everything in our abilities to move forward and retake our State Houses, and Washington, from the regressive and oppressive ways of the Republican Party. We need to quit compromising with those who wish not to negotiate with us and maybe we just need to go toe to toe with them for once. We need to stand up for what is right and fair, we need to stand up for the people of the United States of America!

Respectfully,

Lance Enderle

Democratic Candidate for United States Congress, MI-08

www.LanceEnderle.com

P.S.

Before this Congress concludes, please shove some legislation down their proverbial throats in the next month. You have the bills passed in House, and you both still have control for the next month. Remember a “lame duck” Republican Congress impeached a President, what are you going to do? Hopefully what is fair and right in the name of your constituents and the American people.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger Taylor Wray said...

Thanks for running, Lance. You're the man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home