Friday, October 01, 2010

To Fix the Economy, Invest in Education-- A Guest Post By Ed Potosnak (D-NJ)

>


Last week, the Republicans released their so-called “Pledge to America.” This pledge contained more glossy photos than policy proposals, much like $290,900 taxpayer funded mailers my opponent, Congressman Lance, sent out in August. Their entire promise to America is that they will systematically undo what Democrats have done in Congress during the past two years. No new ideas, no proposals to actually help the millions of Americans struggling everyday. I don’t know about you, but I don’t really want to go back to those halcyon days in 2008 when Bear Stearns failed, Lehman Brothers collapsed, and millions lost their jobs and homes. I want to help get America’s edge back, to get Americans back to work and give them the tools to create jobs and lead the nation back to prosperity.

As you likely noticed, Republicans touted a plan to repeal healthcare reform. What has been mostly ignored in the press is what repeal will mean for many students’ ability to access to higher education. The final health reform legislation package contained the student loan reform bill passed earlier by the House. Earlier this week, I penned an editorial about college accessibility and its correlation to jobs and our economy in my alma mater’s newspaper, the Rutgers Daily Targum. As a teacher and someone who paid my way through college with the help of student loans, I support student loan reform and more measures to ensure that college is not out of reach for any student. I know that when we increase college attainment levels nationwide, we add to our GDP and we lower unemployment. My opponent, Congressman Lance, voted against student loan reform (both as a standalone bill and as part of the health reform package) and he is certain to support its repeal if his party gets their way. A vote against student loan reform is a vote against putting college within reach of all American students. Once again, my anti-education opponent stands firmly opposed to the needs of students and families in our communities.

As you may remember, my opponent justified his disastrous vote on the Education Jobs and Medicaid Assistance Bill by glibly calling the $268 million for New Jersey (to hire 4,000 New Jersey teachers and additional police officers, fire fighters and nurses) “negligible.” Since his vote, his remarks have disseminated throughout my community. Three weeks ago, I launched a section of my website where constituents could submit videos of their reactions to Mr. Lance’s characterization of teachers, firefighters, police officers, and nurses as having a negligible impact on our community. I hope you’ll take a look at the videos: http://edpotosnak.com/myjob.

While you’re on my website, I hope you’ll consider a donation. We’re in the homestretch of the campaign now. Please help me send a strong message to Republicans: our students are not negligible and we must ensure that they have access to quality education from pre-K through college and into the workforce. Or just contribute at the Blue America ActBlue page.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 4:39 AM, Blogger Ravi Shankar said...

You are right. Not only in case of America, it is true for any other country.

A similar blog on this

Please refer the link below.

http://opportunityineducation.blogspot.com/

This blog may not have a proposal but I do have a scenario where a lot can be explored spread education and server society.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home