Sunday, July 10, 2011

"We need more dramas like 'Men of a Certain Age'" (Tim Surette, TV.com)

>


Let's be honest: Men of a Certain Age, which wrapped up its second season on Wednesday, never really stood a chance at a long run on television. I've recommended it to countless people in person, over the phone, on TV.com, but despite how fantastic I say the acting and writing is, I always faced the same dreaded question from potential viewers: What's it about?
-- Tim Surette, in "Did We Just See the End
of Men of a Certain Age
?" on TV.com

by Ken

I haven't watched the season finale of Men of a Certain Age yet, so I have to be careful about spoilers -- to protect myself.

Looking back, I'm relieved to see that I weighed in strongly about Men of a Certain Age, after greeting it with certain reservations, when it came to the first-season finale:
I see online that the show's fans have reason to believe that its renewal is in serious doubt. On TNT's part I find this (a) shocking and (b) really stupid. Do the programming geniuses there really imagine they can fill that hour with anything that might bring them: (a) more prestige, (b) better word of mouth, or (c) a shot at better ratings?

Now I see that once again renewal is in doubt. And this time I have to say that the blame doesn't fall entirely on TNT. Oh, I'm sure they could have marshaled a stronger effort, but in this case, I think they've really tried. Often I complain, when it comes to unconventional shows that their networks don't seem really to get behind, that the powers-that-be either don't get what they have or are afraid to market it honestly for what it is, in an effort at least to connect it to the people who would enjoy such a show. I'm more inclined in the case of Men of a Certain Age than in most cases that its network, TNT, really has tried to promote the show without trying to pretend it's something it isn't. The show has, after all, three fairly familiar stars, who I have to think are on the whole generally liked by the viewing public, and it deals with situations and problems that I would think would resonate with most viewers, and I think the promotions have tried to communicate that.

But TV.com's Tim Surette makes an excellent point when he explains how he has tried to explain what the show is "about":
Ray Romano (Joe), Scott Bakula (Terry), Andre Braugher (Owen)

Ugh. That's where the conversation derails. "It's about three middle-aged men dealing with middle-aged stuff like divorce, health issues, and being friends. One of them is trying to make the Senior Golf Tour and runs a party supply store. Another one owns a car dealership. And the last guy is sort of a loser. Oh and in the mid-season finale, they all got colonoscopies together!"

After that uninspiring spiel, whoever I'm talking to politely explains that they need to go wash their hair and walks away from the conversation, even though I can still smell the shampoo from their morning shower. And I guess that's the problem: Men of a Certain Age doesn't solve crimes, doesn't feature parallel universes, doesn't ever get more exciting than a local news spot. It's too much like real life -- and the majority of viewers, by the time they get home from their soul-crushing jobs each day, have had enough real life without turning on the boob tube to watch someone else's.

And Tim, bless him, has a good read on the case that's to be made for the show.
Men of a Certain Age is not only about real life but everything that makes it special -- the ups and the downs; the regrets and the sweet, sweet triumphs; the pain you learn from and the love that makes you stronger. Those "real life" life lessons are what inspire me, as a viewer, to go out and be a better human being.

Which brings me to this: We need more dramas like Men of a Certain Age. Dramas that aren't an escape from our humdrum reality, but rather enhance our perception of our humdrum reality.

Yes! Exactly, Tim! And it's totally woven into the plot lines for all three central characters. As Tim writes:
When I see Noah Wyle punch a space spider in the face and drag him back to HQ, I don't go out the next day and help an old lady across the street. But when Terry decides to get his life on the right track, Joe overcomes nervousness on an awkward date, or Owen stands up to his father, it hits *chokes up, points to his heart* right here, man, and I feel an overwhelming urge to call my mom and tell her I love her or hug my cat. On a personal level, there's a lot more to take away from watching an episode of Men of a Certain Age. Some call it "that fuzzy feeling," some compare it to fatherly advice, I call it virtual experience. Men of a Certain Age never set out to wow its audience, it only attempted -- and successfully accomplished -- creating something its audience can relate to.

Sadly, word on the street is that Men of a Certain Age is a long shot for a Season 3 renewal. Looks like it's back to humdrum reality for all of us.

Sigh.


UPDATE: MEN OF A CERTAIN AGE CO-CREATOR AND EXEC
PRODUCER MIKE ROYCE SAYS, "HOPE IS IN NO WAY LOST"


Howie passed along this tweet, and while there's nothing clickable in my copied version (remember, I'm il-twit-erate), I thought the message was worth passing along:
MikeRoyce Mike Royce
@
@downwithtyranny appreciate all the nice words. You are right to fret but hope is in no way lost.

This is definitely encouraging. I'm sure Mike and his team have no shortage of material for a third season, and to the TNT brain trust I would say the same thing I did last year: "Do the programming geniuses there really imagine they can fill that hour with anything that might bring them: (a) more prestige, (b) better word of mouth, or (c) a shot at better ratings?"
#

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home