Sunday, March 28, 2010

Some Conservative Democrats Don't Join The Blue Dog Caucus-- They Just Vote With It... Like Larry Kissell

>


Like progressive activists and bloggers in North Carolina Blue America has felt very let down and very disappointed in freshman Congressman Larry Kissell. Our PAC worked hard for four years to help elect him, raising money for him, sharing ideas, even buying $50,000 worth of last minute TV spots in 2008 to help put him over the finish line. We neither require, request nor expect ideological purity from any candidate. We do expect honesty and respect though. Before the last ad even ran, the once very forthcoming Kissell stopped communicating entirely. I was somewhat shocked but as I watched him slowly slipping into a morass of reflexive conservatism I understood that he couldn't even look at himself let alone at any of his old supporters.

And, like John Barrow, Larry Kissell knows better and made a stupid political calculation that is going to destroy his political career. Last week Kissell was on the wrong side of history as he defied his own constituents to vote with the Republicans against healthcare reform. Over the last few months, progressives in North Carolina have encouraged and recruited Nancy Shakir, founder of Cumberland County Progressives, to primary Kissell. His votes against healthcare has been a huge boost to her campaign.

Here are some typical comments after an insincere, self-serving and misleading OpEd Kissell wrote after he betrayed his own constituents by voting with the GOP against the bill.
One Time Only

I am ashamed to actually say I even worked for your campaign. I took the time to call people and tell them that you were a teacher from the small town of Biscoe. I believed that you cared about people. What I found is that you cared more about what you felt would get you re-elected. I will tell you in advance, I am telling every single person I know to vote against you. You do not represent me, nor do you have the values that you were voted into office on. Enjoy your one term, because as I write this I can promise you this will be your last term in office. You do not deserve a second term!

Disappointed Voter

I'm so disappointed in you Larry! You rode Obama's coat tail during your campaign and you turn around and stab him in the back.

I'm not sure where you're getting your advice from, but I’m ashamed I voted for you believing in your message.

The few people that call you or email you do not add up to the voters in your district. There are way more voters out there working hard who do not have the time to call or email, we just believed in you which is sad to say, we were wrong.

Sorry Larry, this will be remembered come reelection.

You're A Phony

Larry Larry!!!!

OMG, you're such a Hypocrite! Spare the psychobabble for your non educated constituents. I know a phony when I see one.

Voting "Yes" was the right thing to do. It's not about the popular thing to do; it’s about the right thing to do.

You voted "No"? Are you serious? I was there in the Crown Coliseum when Obama supported you're campaign in front of thousands. How could you vote "No" for someone who supported you and is doing ground breaking work trying to give YOUR voters health coverage that they didn't have?

Please Larry, you make me nauseous with this reply to your voters, we can see right through you.

Newton Smith

One-timer Kissell :
From the comments I`ve read so far it don't look good for you in the up-coming primary. As stated by others I too supported you, voted for you, believed you were really for change [ riding Obama`s coattail into office]. How disappointed I have become since your election! As I have personally relayed to you over your "NO" vote on health care reform [via many unanswered emails] I will now do all possible to see that you are not re-elected. You went over to the DARK SIDE when you arrived in Washington. You need to go back to the mill!

On the health care bill you told me [and as stated in your pre-election campaign article] the reason you vote "NO" was because of your "campaign pledge" not to vote on ANY bill that reduced funding to Medicare. To protect the seniors. Hello! What percentage of the voters in your district are beneficiaries of Social Security and Medicare? How about the number or percentage of those under 65 who have not reached that age and are still struggling to keep their job or looking for a job or the children of this percentage ??? I would think that that percentage is considerably higher than those presently using Medicare. According to a recent ELON poll over 78% of ALL North Carolians FAVORED passing of the bill that was passed EVEN WITHOUT YOUR HELP! I think the voters have spoken! GOOD-BYE !!!!

Nancy also penned an OpEd for the Fayetteville Observer introducing herself to voters two weeks ago and explaining why she decided to take on the burdensome and thankless task of running against an incumbent:
He voted "no" on legislation that would have allowed people to reorganize their finances and avoid foreclosure. He voted "no" when North Carolinians and Americans were facing the worst recession this country has seen since the Great Depression. His "no" vote was a "yes" vote for family despair and homelessness.

He voted "no" on cap-and-trade, a bill that could open doors for high-paying and living-wage "green collar" jobs-- a bill that could open the doors for entrepreneurs and small businesses to grow.

He voted "no" for health care, claiming he was committed to helping seniors. The AARP, which represents 40 million seniors, supports health care reform as presented by the House and the Senate. The estimated cost to seniors to get the private Medicare Advantage out of the government Medicare program while saving billions over a 10-year period is about $1.67 a month over a 10-year period.

Under pressure, our representative may change his vote this time, but I ask you, do you want someone who has to be forced to represent your best interests?

I am not merely running against the incumbent because of his "no" votes.

I am running for the people. I am running to help create job growth-- jobs that provide decent, living wages. We must support small-business owners, the backbone of our nation, so they are able to stay in business and be able to pay their employees wages that allow people to take care of their families and to live in dignity.

I am running to help create and support affordable, accessible and rigorous avenues of education from pre-school through technical and college education. North Carolina produces about 6,000 fewer teachers than it needs each year. Our country has fallen to No. 10 in the world for young people holding college degrees. We have got to do better.

I am running to assure that we have access to health care for all Americans.

I am running as a true Democrat and an independent thinker. I will not tell you I stand for one set of principles, then go to Washington and vote against my commitment to you. We need to make change now-- before we spend years living with uncertainty.

Kissell has betrayed everyone who supported him in the past. Blue America has added Nancy Shakir to our Sending The Democrats A Message page and will help her raise money to defeat Kissell.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True that! The man in the video is speaking the truth...well said!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home