Wednesday, December 23, 2009

There's so much to admire, even enjoy, in Men of a Certain Age, I just wish the show was somehow less relentless

Men of a Certain Age, I just wish the show was somehow less relentless'>Men of a Certain Age, I just wish the show was somehow less relentless'>Men of a Certain Age, I just wish the show was somehow less relentless'>Men of a Certain Age, I just wish the show was somehow less relentless'>>Men of a Certain Age, I just wish the show was somehow less relentless'>



by Ken

I need to hear from people who've been watching TNT's Men of a Certain Age, with Ray Romano, Andre Braugher, and Scott Bakula as high school buddies in their late 40s treading uneasily toward the 50 mark. For the record, it isn't absolutely clear to all of them just how late in their 40s they are. Joe (Ray R), the owner of a party store, newly separated with two children, insists he's just turned 47 and has to be corrected -- he's actually 48.

I've watched all three episodes now, and it wasn't without some difficulty -- not because it's badly done. In fact, the problem stems in good part from the fact that it's quite well done. Ray, who's a creator, producer, and writer of the show, is clearly serious about his character, who seems to me totally believable and far from unsympathetic.

There's something deeply unsettling about the combination of his obsessiveness to detail over which he really has very little control and which rarely matters much and his obliviousness to so much that really does matter, over which he has quite a lot of control, not least the gambling addiction that seems to have played a major role in ruining his marriage. Of course, people who have such addictions really do feel powerless to overcome them, and Joe's seemingly senseless inability to just stop it is one of the most persuasive portrayals I've seen of what it feels (and looks) like to be powerless against such a compulsion. If you look at it rationally, it seems preposterous; there's no earthly reason for Joe to keep getting sucked in. But of course his powerlessness against it has nothing to do with rationality, and I'm finding it almost unbearably painful to watch. If it weren't so unbelievable, it wouldn't be anywhere near so hard to watch.

Terry (Scott B) is the least unhappy of the trio in his slide toward obscurity, with his much superior abiltiy to take life as it comes, especially since he, unlike the others, has no responsibilities to anyone but himself. His acting career may be in decline (he can't seem to get a decent audition, let alone an acting job), but he manages to make ends meet somehow without much stress, and perhaps more important to his friends is never at a loss for a sex partner. And yet, as little as Terry is given to introspection as Terry is, he clearly has moments -- of seemingly increasing frequency and severity -- in which his life seems intolerable. There's a horribly painful plot line in which he successfully tracks down the driver who ran a stop sign and by sheer luck only brushed his car. He tracks him down, rings his doorbell, and has no idea what to do from there, no idea what will make it right, or better. It's as if there is this growing itch, or ache, inside him, that is intruding more and more on his reality, and about which he has no idea what to do.

At least Owen (Andre B, coming off his riveting performance as House's psychiatrist) has a relatively happy home life -- if he ever gets his home back in order from the renovations he and his wife (the excellent LisaGay Hamilton, who was Rebecca on The Practice) are doing. He's stuck, as he approaches that sensitive age, seriously out of shape, in a job he hates, working in the fiercely competitive environment of his dictatorial father's Chevy dealership. The word "trapped" springs to mind for all of these people.

I notice that in the show's promotional material there's a lot of talk about humor, and I guess it's there, just as it is in real life. But at least for me, it doesn't seem to lighten the load. I'm wondering how other viewers are coping. I don't want the show to be unfaithful to the premises it has set up, suddenly turning all happy. Still, I think of a show like Six Feet Under, which managed to be not a whole lot cheerier while still making the journey somehow less exhausting. Meanwhile, there's so much I like about the show, I guess I'll just have to tough it out.
#

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Pamela Jaye said...

I love the show, 3 eps in. So, what precisely was your question?

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Thanks for joining in, Pamela.

Obviously you're not having the problem I am, which is that the show is so relentlessly downbeat, even desperate, that I find it awfully heavy going. My question is, I guess, is it just me?

Ken

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Durward Discussion said...

I've watched all three episodes and it's a mixed vote from me. It may be the same thing you are sensing in that I find the car salesman easy to take but the others just seem so negative that you want to shake them and say, "Lighten up every once in a while"

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Cynthia4 hope said...

From the first episode I liked Owen he was such a caring person and his father the way he does not show him the true respect he deserves breaks my heart but makes me root for Owen more.
Terry we got work on him. There are times that I can not take the things that he does like stealing that muscle guys car after he ran him over but then Terry showed a softer side when he was acting like a married couple with that other actress he looked at the tree house and wondered what if.
He got his heart broken when the actress introduced her boyfriend.
And Joe, Oh he needs work but I think that he does care about his children and learns a lot from his young employee at the store DeShaun. Even though lots of bad words every so often I want to know what happens to these men.

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very, very fine show!

The relentlessness is what makes it work, and sets it apart from all the other pretend-to-be-real-but-not programs out there.

The contrast with the laugh-shake-your-head moments - genuinely amazing!

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't watched the show and you've hit on exactly the reason why. Portrayed as a comedy, the promos for the thing do not strike me as the least bit funny. And if there's anything I hate it's false advertising.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Well, even I have to say, it IS funny, NMRon -- it's just funny in the midst of a lot of other stuff. You really ought to check it out for yourself. I don't usually pay much attention to promotional stuff either, because in my experience TV execs rarely know what it is they're selling.

Again, thanks to all for the comments. I'm genuinely fascinated by the responses.

Ken

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I really enjoy the show. It has its light moments...but it's real life and those are not always funny.

The show has great chemistry between the 3 actors and it shows on screen. I'm thrilled to see Scott Bakula back on a series. I hope the series continues on its wonderful journey for many seasons to come!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Pamela Jaye said...

decided to peek into my gmail.

I'm liking the show more now.
They probably should not had promoted it is comedy, but it makes my brother laugh.

I like deep, emotional stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home