Thursday, July 02, 2009

HE GIVES US HELL, ALL RIGHT

>

Harry? Harry, is that you? Oh wait, the sign says that this fellow is suspending panhandling, to focus on the national economy. That can't be our Harry.

by Noah

The other day I received a sponging-for-reelection money e-solicitation from Sen. Harry Reid, under this banner --


It started out:
Friends [quite an assumption there -- Noah],

I've said it before: the Republicans have made me their top target. [God knows why! -- Noah again]

Then he blathered on about how he's a "force for change," a phrase whose meaning has apparently been redefined by people like him.

Nowadays, the only Democrat that's gonna get money from me would have to be a progressive, ActBlue kind of Dem, not the usual Repug in Dem clothing, so I wasted no time in replying to His Royal Spinelessness.
Senator Reid:

Sorry, but your party is also a party of no change and "no, we can't," as in "no, we can't get the votes for a public option." You guys don't even want us to have the same government health care that you have and will have the rest of your lives. Hell, Baucus and Schumer just sat on their fat asses and laughed as they had single-payer advocates arrested. You could practically see the crisp Franklins from the K Street Bribery Squads sticking out of their pockets. Joe Stalin would have cheered them on.

Until there is a public option (and one that isn't a watered-down, crossed-fingers-behind-the-back one), or, better yet, single-payer, I don't see why I should support or vote for Democrats anymore. Your party seems to think we have no choice but to vote for you. Well, I'll either support third-party candidates or just stay home. What's the difference? Now I hear even President Obama is open to abandoning the public-option concept. Might as well have given Bush a third term.

I'm sick of the sell-outs and sick of the corruption and bribe-taking. I'm tired of the smirks and the laughter coming from inside the Beltway. Tired of being played. You guys either have no idea or just don't care. The Senate is the worst of all. I'll give the Repugs credit, though. At least they have a spine. You're givin' us hell, all right. A Republican-lite is still a Repug.

Given the choice, Americans will vote for the truth-in-advertising model. Change is a hell of a lot more than a cynical campaign slogan, but I guess you're hoping there are just enough fools outside the Beltway to get you another term. You need to go visit America. Take some of your buddies with you. I wonder if they can comprehend it.

I heartily encourage all readers to give 'em all hell -- by phone, by e-mail, by fax, by buttonholing them if they dare walk the streets of your town, even by carrier pigeon, complete with well-aimed droppings! Just do it.
#

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pleez, do not refer to Harry Reid as Republican in Democrat clothing... Hell, we don't even want the middle of the road Republicans-In-Name-Only like John McCain and Colin Powell. Reid is a left wing wack-job with a re-election bullseye on his backside just like Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Barbara Boxer, and Nancy Pelosi. I will join you in a hearty "Goodbye, Harry!"

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Balakirev said...

...and another right-wing wack-job from the frothing at the mouth Anonymous clan is heard from, before he stomps off back into the mountains. Harry Reid, left wing? You need to start using fresher grain in that whiskey mash, son. The mold will drive you blind.

Ken, great piece. I love the letter, though I suspect (as I'm sure you do) that it will only reach Paper Tiger's attention if 10,000 copies came from his individual constituents. What we can hope is that Harry gets defeated--whether by a Blue Dog, a progressive, a Republican, hell, even a Tasmanian devil; it doesn't matter. Then at least the Senate Dems would get different leadership. As it is, Harry's fatal combination of incompetence and backpedaling is about all we count upon from him. Well, that, and the amount of hot air he expels when he does his imitation of a committed, elected official.

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received the same email from Harry - I told him I wouldn't (couldn't) even give him lunch money...Until he shows the balls that the slogan 'Give 'em Hell Harry' conotes...

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger VG said...

This is a bit OT- but especially for Howie if he is reading- a few months back I got an email from the Jim Martin campaign, asking for $$ for Reid. As if we hadn't already figured out who was running the Martin campaign... *g*

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous NOAH said...

Hi Balakirev,
Noah here. I don't expect I'll get a response from my letter to Sen. Reid, but, I did send a VERY similar one to a good ActBlue/Progressive Dem in Congress who was also soliciting funds. HE wrote back and we had a good, intelligent exchange. At least one of our elected representatives feels similar frustrations and sees us as worthy of communication beyond the usual form letters and dismissiveness. I just figure they all, especially the Blue Dogs and Repugs, need to hear from us instead of just their K Street Bribery Squad friends.
As for the "wack-job", your suggestion is a good one, but, keep in mind that he/she/it has at least generously pointed out the dire need for improved health care in our country, especially of the mental kind. Come to think of it, more funds for education could be of help too :)

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hhhmm, I must admit I thought the first commenter was being heavily sarcastic, but I may very well be wrong. The writer is certainly no Reid supporter.

No?
jawbone

 

Post a Comment

<< Home