Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Comedy Tonight (or Tragedy?): Noah digs out one of the juiciest scenes in film history

>


This scene quickly became, and remains, one of the most famous (not to mention most quoted) chunks in celluloid history.

Noah was pleased by my characterization this morning of his brooding rumination yesterday on the health care reform debacle as a "jeremiad." I pointed out to him that Jeremiah was of course rather cheerier and more optimistic but that I thought we could stretch the point. He replied: "Jeremiah's world was smaller, as were the info systems. Imagine how he would be today with all the info to process. Dodging Nurse Ratchet probably."

Shortly thereafter the above clip turned up in my e-mailbox.

Speaking of your cheerful, optimistic guys, the gentleman in the photo at left is Paddy Chayefsky, perhaps the most celebrated of all screenwriters, and of course the author of the screenplay for Network. -- Ken

AFTERTHOUGHT: While I'm pleased to have credited Paddy Chayefsky, I should have mentioned that the picture, of which I see there's a two-DVD "special edition," was directed by the great Sidney Lumet, and the actor who left such an indelible mark as Howard Beale is the great Peter Finch. And of course the producer-from-hell is Faye Dunaway.


NOAH ADDS:

"Network is not only one of my top three films of all time, but the time has come for all of us, if we're not going to go to the window and scream, then at the very least, in a bit of guerrilla theater, SEND THIS CLIP TO YOUR SENATORS AND CONGRESSCREEPS. Just do it. Send it every damn day. Some of them might even get the hint."
#

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Daro said...

I've watched this clip about 20 times. It's getting eerier and eerier as time goes by and it gets more and more relevant

 
At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Lee said...

Ken and Noah..

Its on my top 5 list. It's take on "infotainment is eery.

Far as "real" health care reform goes. I have said this over and over til I am blue in the face. We need to stop being polite and in their faces screaming "we're made as hell"
Personally I think its time for civil disobedience. In the Congress in the Senate.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger KenInNY said...

Watched it 20 times, eh, Daro? An obsessive after my own heart!

And thanks as always for chiming in, Lee. I'm reminded that it's probably been quite awhile since I actually watched Network, and I probably need to give it a new look. Thanks, Noah!

Ken

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous NOAH said...

I HAVE A DREAM! And that is that this clip goes viral like nothing has before. It's on youtube and it's easy for everyone to copy the link and put it in an email to these insensitive lowlife bribe sponging tools of the profit gouging insurance companies in what is SUPPOSED to be OUR Congress, not K Street's. While we're at it get their fax numbers and send them a sheet of paper the screams "I'm Mad As Hell and I'm Not Gonna Take It Anymore!" Do It.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home