Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Somewhat belatedly, we pass along Melissa Etheridge's thoughts on the Pastor Rick situation

>


I've already had my say about Pastor Rick and the regrettable invitation ("It seems safe to say that President-elect Obama doesn't give a damn what we think of the choice of Rick Warren to give the inaugural invocation"), and so has most everyone else. Last week from Africa Howie passed along a HuffPost post by Melissa Etheridge, which I've held off passing on -- frankly because I thought it was too easy to foresee the reflexive response to it, and the reflexive response to the response, and in all likelihood the reflexive response to that. So I tossed it on my steadily growing pile of "stuff I want to come back to when I have a chance to draw a breath."

Somewhat belatedly, I commend it to your attention, and I hope folks will at least listen to Melissa, not because she's a "celebrity," or because she claims any great political sophistication, which, please note, she doesn't. But clearly a lot of people take her seriously as an artist, and I think the qualities that make her an artist who has won a place in so many hearts -- including, apparently, Pastor Rick's! -- are apparent here. -- Ken

The Choice Is Ours Now

By Melissa Etheridge - The Huffington Post, Dec. 22, 2008

This is a message for my brothers and sisters who have fought so long and so hard for gay rights and liberty. We have spent a long time climbing up this mountain, looking at the impossible, changing a thousand year-old paradigm. We have asked for the right to love the human of our choice, and to be protected equally under the laws of this great country. The road at times has been so bloody, and so horrible, and so disheartening. From being blamed for 9/11 and Katrina, to hateful crimes committed against us, we are battle weary. We watched as our nation took a step in the right direction, against all odds and elected Barack Obama as our next leader. Then we were jerked back into the last century as we watched our rights taken away by prop 8 in California. Still sore and angry we felt another slap in the face as the man we helped get elected seemingly invited a gay-hater to address the world at his inauguration.

I hadn't heard of Pastor Rick Warren before all of this. When I heard the news, in its neat little sound bite form that we are so accustomed to, it painted the picture for me. This Pastor Rick must surely be one hate spouting, money grabbing, bad hair televangelist like all the others. He probably has his own gay little secret bathroom stall somewhere, you know. One more hater working up his congregation to hate the gays, comparing us to pedophiles and those who commit incest, blah blah blah. Same 'ole thing. Would I be boycotting the inauguration? Would we be marching again?

Well, I have to tell you my friends, the universe has a sense of humor and indeed works in mysterious ways. As I was winding down the promotion for my Christmas album I had one more stop last night. I'd agreed to play a song I'd written with my friend Salman Ahmed, a Sufi Muslim from Pakistan. The song is called "Ring The Bells," and it's a call for peace and unity in our world. We were going to perform our song for the Muslim Public Affairs Council, a group of Muslim Americans that tries to raise awareness in this country, and the world, about the majority of good, loving, Muslims. I was honored, considering some in the Muslim religion consider singing to be against God, while other Muslim countries have harsh penalties, even death for homosexuals. I felt it was a very brave gesture for them to make. I received a call the day before to inform me of the keynote speaker that night... Pastor Rick Warren. I was stunned. My fight or flight instinct took over, should I cancel? Then a calm voice inside me said, "Are you really about peace or not?"

I told my manager to reach out to Pastor Warren and say "In the spirit of unity I would like to talk to him." They gave him my phone number. On the day of the conference I received a call from Pastor Rick, and before I could say anything, he told me what a fan he was. He had most of my albums from the very first one. What? This didn't sound like a gay hater, much less a preacher. He explained in very thoughtful words that as a Christian he believed in equal rights for everyone. He believed every loving relationship should have equal protection. He struggled with proposition 8 because he didn't want to see marriage redefined as anything other than between a man and a woman. He said he regretted his choice of words in his video message to his congregation about proposition 8 when he mentioned pedophiles and those who commit incest. He said that in no way, is that how he thought about gays. He invited me to his church, I invited him to my home to meet my wife and kids. He told me of his wife's struggle with breast cancer just a year before mine.

When we met later that night, he entered the room with open arms and an open heart. We agreed to build bridges to the future.
Brothers and sisters the choice is ours now. We have the world's attention. We have the capability to create change, awesome change in this world, but before we change minds we must change hearts. Sure, there are plenty of hateful people who will always hold on to their bigotry like a child to a blanket. But there are also good people out there, Christian and otherwise that are beginning to listen. They don't hate us, they fear change. Maybe in our anger, as we consider marches and boycotts, perhaps we can consider stretching out our hands. Maybe instead of marching on his church, we can show up en mass and volunteer for one of the many organizations affiliated with his church that work for HIV/AIDS causes all around the world.

Maybe if they get to know us, they wont fear us.

I know, call me a dreamer, but I feel a new era is upon us.

I will be attending the inauguration with my family, and with hope in my heart. I know we are headed in the direction of marriage equality and equal protection for all families.

Happy Holidays my friends and a Happy New Year to you.Peace on earth, goodwill toward all men and women... and everyone in-between.
#

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the moon were a balloon we could all take a ride. Melissa and Rick are millionaires. People with money don’t often experience hate and discrimination Very often rich people find they have lots in common with other rich people no matter how hateful or ignorant. Rick warren is a liar and preaches hate. How can you trust or love someone like that? Melissa is a big mess and so is her partner.

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe she's wrong. Maybe she's right. But she has done her part to make things better. If it doesn't work, then it is only a reflection on those who spurn her attempts. At least she knows she tried. She did not let her own prejudices and assumptions get in her way. She is setting a good example for us all.

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for me, I will grudgingly give Obama a pass on this. But my dander's up, and I hope to not see any more right-wing crap from him. There's a limit to my tolerance of bullshit.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger KenInNY said...

I don't think it's even necessary "to give Obama a pass" on this. He did what he did, and he's deservedly taking a heap of heat.

But I also think Melissa is on to something. I don't think we have to give Pastor Rick a pass either in order to see that the world really is changing, and there's a part of Pastor Rick that gets it.

As proof of the change, look at the violence of the reaction on the right flank of the evangelicals. They're scared. Pastor Rick responded only too readily to that storm from the right, because, well, that's who he is. There's no reason to kid ourselves about that.

But I think Melissa has already made contact with the "good angels" warring inside him. And I think she's carrying history with her.

Ken

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Riddle me this and riddle me that,who's afraid of the big black bat!?
How can the clay say to to the potter,why have you made me this way? Not the case! Judgment day will take place and evry single human that has lived and died will face God alone. Better look up 2 live and live ready!

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

air jordan 14 xiv retro lt graphite chartreuse black 267

air jordan 14 xiv retro white chartreuse black 265

air jordan 14 xiv retro white dark cinder chutney 264

air jordan 14 xiv retro white varsity red black 263

air jordan 15 flint grey white 279

air jordan 15 white columbia blue 277

air jordan 15 se black metallic silver miners gold 283

air jordan 15 se black metallic silver varsity red white 282

air jordan 15 se white metallic silver miners gold 280

air jordan 15 se white red blue 281

air jordan 15 xv low black silver 276

air jordan 15 xv low white red 275

air jordan 17 white red 292

air jordan 17 low black 291

air jordan 17 low white carolina blue 290

air jordan 17 low white lightning 289

air jordan 17 plus white black copper 288

air jordan 185 black university blue 301

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

air jordan 3 retro ls silver sport red lt graphite orange peel 114

air jordan 4 silver anniversary 1465

air jordan 4 retro mars blackmon edition white varsity red black 140

air jordan 4 retro black black lt graphite 139

air jordan 4 retro black cool grey 138

air jordan 4 retro black red 137

air jordan 4 retro cool grey 136

air jordan 4 retro white black cement 135

air jordan 4 retro white chrome 134

air jordan 4 retro white columbia blue midnight navy 133

air jordan 4 retro white green 132

air jordan 4 retro white metallic silver 131

air jordan 4 retro laser white varsity red black 129

air jordan 4 retro ls mist blue university blue gold leaf white 128

air jordan 4 retro rare air laser edition black varsity red medium grey 126

air jordan 5 v retro black silver red 158

air jordan 5 v retro silver green bean flint grey 157

air jordan 5 v retro white black fire red 156

 

Post a Comment

<< Home