Monday, May 21, 2007

EASY TITLE: GREEN DAY-- WORKING CLASS HEROES

>


Green Day told me they were covering John Lennon's classic "Working Class Hero" a couple months ago but then Billie hustled off to New Orleans to help build homes for people displaced by Katrina-- the ones, unlike Trent Lott, who the Bush Regime never got to. It's coming out on May 30, on a benefit album for Amnesty International, INSTANT KARMA. The Bush Regime isn't doing much to save the folks in Darfur either so the proceeds from INSTANT KARMA will help out with that. Anyway, here are three pieces of raw footage of Green Day recording their song:







Billie Joe explained why they chose "Working Class Hero" to record: "Its themes of alienation, class, and social status really resonated with us. It's such a raw, aggressive song-- just that line: 'you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see'-- we felt we could really sink our teeth into it. I hope we've done him justice."

The whole album lineup:
Aerosmith ft The Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars "Give Peace a Chance"
Avril Lavigne "Imagine"
Ben Harper "Beautiful Boy"
Big & Rich "Nobody Told Me"
The Black Eyed Peas "Power To the People"
Christina Aguilera "Mother"
Corinne Bailey Rae "I'm Losing You"
The Flaming Lips "(Just Like) Starting Over"
Green Day "Working Class Hero"
Jack Johnson "Imagine"
Jack's Mannequin featuring Mick Fleetwood "God"
Jackson Browne "Oh, My Love"
Jaguares "Gimme Some Truth"
Jakob Dylan ft Dhani Harrison "Gimme Some Truth"
Lenny Kravitz "Cold Turkey"
Los Lonely Boys "Whatever Gets You Through the Night"
Matisyahu "Watching the Wheels"
The Postal Service "Grow old With Me"
Regina Spektor "Real Love"
R.E.M. "#9 Dream"
Snow Patrol "Isolation"
U2 "Instant Karma"
Youssou N'Dour "Jealous Guy"

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Blogger CAFE said...

howie,
i'm sorry to bother you - i didn't have your direct email and hope that this will make it to you. i spoke with you a number of times while working as arts editor at the s.f. bay guardian. i left s.f. a couple of years ago (live in silver lake at the moment), and am writing a book for 33 1/3 on london calling (part of a series of books about particular albums).
you know as much as anyone about the political winds that blew through the punk scene here and in london back then.
i'm hoping i can get a bit of your time and talk with you about punk, politics, cultural collision, the clash, etc.
my email address is jht99@earthlink.net.
i hope to hear from you.
best,
tommy tompkins

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Good stuff Howie.
You lucky b*stard!
Hangin' with Greenday would be wayyy up on my 'to do' list.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger afb said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is not exactly an on point comment. But you know people who might be able to accomplish this. I liked "Have You Had Enough." Please pass it on.

This was posted in response to Rudy's explicit support for torture. (See Digby's Hullabaloo)

Here's my idea:

I was listening to Little Richard's Tutti Frutti, while driving in my car. I hadn't heard it, or thought about it for quite some time.
There's the verses that all start, "I got a gal named..." Various "gals" know how to do various things to him, all of which he enjoys.
The refrain, as I'm sure you know, goes, "Tutti Frutti, Oh Rudy!" and ends with that "Wop bomp a luba, a womp bam boom!"

I thought that if I had mad video skills, I would create a short film set to that music. I would take every clip of Giuliani, the serial cross-dresser, and pair them with each verse of that song. Remember, Rudy wasn't just wearing a Halloween fright wig, and some cheap costume. He worked on those looks, then he worked each appearance like something out of Zoolander.

On each "Tutti Frutti" refrain, I'd show unflattering images of Il Douchbag, not in drag, of which there are many. I might even include shots of his jilted ex-wife, Donna Hanover, and his scorned children. I would definitely include some images of the fatuous Ms. Judy, who did such a bang-up job, post 9/11. I haven't come up with a real boffo ending, but I'm sure someone could.

Then I'd post it on YouTube, and wait for the laughs. Can you just see Rudy arriving at a speaking engagement, only to be serenaded with choruses of Tutti Frutti? It would be such fun to watch his face, as he attempted to keep his head from exploding!

If anyone is inspired by my fantasy film, and has the requisite skills to realize my dream, please feel free to do so. I hereby abjure any financial claims to the idea. It's in the public domain, for the public good.

Wooooo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home