Saturday, November 25, 2006

HOLD THAT TIGER? (Including Mags's gleeful special election report from Michigan)

>


By Mags

I know the saying is "Think globally, act locally," but the national nightmare has been more of a magnet for me than local politics in the last couple of years.

However, on election eve, I attended a Granholm rally and witnessed the charisma and intelligence of the divine Miss Jenn for myself. Her plan to fund health care for those Michigan workers with no access to health care is cutting edge and brilliant.

When browsing websites today, I visited the Michigan Liberal. Michigan has been a Republican stronghold in state politics since the days of Gov. John Engler. Happily we threw off part of the burden when we elected Jennifer Granholm governor in 2002, but the state capitol remained stubbornly red. This year we were able to turn the Michigan State House blue.

This is monumental for Michigan residents. It means another four years of one of the most fiscally responsible governors in our history. Granholm campaigned on the idea that we are all in this together, that if we are not a people bound by our common concern for each other, then we are not bound at all.

My meanderings today led me to the Michigan Liberal page so I could see what excitement the changing of the guard was bringing to my state. And as I wandered through the postings there, I came upon a surprise. This escaped my notice earlier this year. I am not sure how this will play in Peoria (a town I am familiar with from my youth), but the idea is being floated in three states for now, and Michigan is one of them.

The donkey is an unlikely symbol for a political party, which says nothing about strength or intelligence. And it certainly does not speak to dignity. It is not a noble beast. But, consider momentarily The Blue Tiger Dems (see above).

Changing old habits is never easy, but in the NFL, the Cincinnati Bengals had an awful record and seemed to just get worse and worse. At some point they decided to change everything about themselves. New logos, new uniforms. Now they are a team that commands respect.

I wonder if the Dems might do well to consider an image overhaul with all of their other considerations right now. The tiger is indeed noble, cunning, and an animal of immense grace and power. Looks good to me. Maybe we can get this into the public spotlight. It's worth a shot.

1 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I've always hated that we are represented by an animal that is called a "jackass"! This is a great move--and as you remind us, it can lead to a complete turnaround in thought and action. Rather like losing a ton of weight, and looking and feeling better.

In the meantime, maybe they can organize a "blue-tiger caucus" in the house, to negate the "republican-lite/DINO" Blue Dog Democrats (my rep is one of "those")...

I grew up in Michigan. After leaving, during the recession/slowdown of late 70s, I found that very few states include Labor history and issues in public school curriculum. And, I expect that Michigan has probably dropped it, too; reality bites!

Lucky Michigan--a genuine progressive governor! Less lucky--Tennessee citizens, who have only a moderate democrat. But if Ford didn't win, we at least have gained some insight and perspective on our backwardness. It's just taking us longer to find the door to the 21st-Century...

Naomi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home