Friday, September 22, 2006

ERIC CLAPTON & J.J. CALE LOOK AT BUSH'S WAR-- WHEN IT HAPPENS IN THE STREET, THEY CALL IT A CRIME

>


I'm not the world's most knowledgeable Eric Clapton scholar, just a garden variety fan, certainly since before I booked 2 of his bands, Cream and the Yardbirds, to play at my college. Later, by some miracle I wound up as the head of the record label that he recorded for. I don't recall him as ever getting too political with his music. So wasn't I in for a shock this afternoon when a mutual friend took me for a drive and played me The Road to Escondido the new Clapton/J.J. Cale album due out November 7, election day.

The "political" song is called "When This War is Over" and, like most of the album, it is sung by Eric and J.J.

When this war is over
It will be a better day
But it won't bring back
Those poor boys in their grave


I don't have a copy of the CD and I can't recall all the lyrics but I remember asking if they sat down and wrote some lines with Jack Murtha:

Gotta get a plan
Change our ways, you know


The album is chillingly beautiful at times and powerful and vibrant throughout. Anyone who's ever listened to Clapton's astounding covers of "After Midnight" and "Cocaine," might have guessed these two guys would work together someday. This someday has resulted in 14 songs that defy simple genre categorization. There's rock, blues, country, folk... even a gorgeous children's song I can't get out of my head that Eric wrote for his three daughters. (Eric also wrote a song with John Mayer, who plays on the album, as do Taj Mahal, Albert Lee and Derek Trucks.)

"This was the realization of what may have been my last ambition, to work with the man who's music has inspired me for as long as I can remember," said Clapton. "There are not enough words for me to describe what he represents to me, musically and personally, and anyway I wouldn't want to embarrass him by going overboard, for he is a truly humble man... I think it's enough to say that we had fun, made a great record, and I for one already want to make another."

Maybe next week I'll be able to get some music I can post. Until then, here's a great live version of Eric with J.J. and his band at the Crossroads concert doing "After Midnight" (which is not one of the Cale covers on the new album).



For anyone who wants the tracklisting: Danger, Heads in Georgia, Missing Person, When This War Is Over, Sporting Life Blues, Dead End Road, It’s Easy, Hard To Thrill, Anyway The Wind Blows, Three Little Girls, Don’t Cry Sister, Last Will and Testament, Who Am I Telling You, and Ride The River.

9 Comments:

At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.



9/11 WHISTLEBLOWER BOMBSHELL!!!

Military Sergeant Reveals The TRUTH OF 9/11:

http://www.v911t.org/SergeantLauroChavez.php

.

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fanatastic! We need more musicians singing out against the war. Robert Cray did an amazing song last year called "When Your Used Up" that had me in tears watching the video. Powerful stuff.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be better to release the song at least a week BEFORE the election!?! On that day may be too late to influence anyone.

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray Gentleman and thank you for taking a stand, BUT, i agree...WTF? releasing on the day of the election. Come on, PLEEZ push up that date. Release it NOW!

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen to Eric Clapton's new anti-war song:

"When the War is Over"


QT


WMP


Very nice!!

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it happens on the street they call that a bribe, A-HOLE

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the GW Williams,Rock & Blues & JAZZ guitar concert last Friday in Seattle I couldn't believe what GW Williams did, neither could 113,473 other people his Rock n Roll & jazzy blues style on guitar and singing opened a whole new world of music,maybe a new style was born last night.Rock,Blues,Jazz Guitarist GW Williams Gets 45 minute Standing Ovation IN Seattle Concert

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

The comments posted about GW Williams are part of a viral marketing campaign. This person has a home-made recording on Amazon.com . You can listen to samples and see why it's clear that they had to resort to this sort of thing.
Reference to Eric Clapton, John Mayer or other prominent non-fictional guitarists seem to be drawing him in.
Please feel free to delete this entry along with his.
This seems like a nice place. It's too bad he's decided to invade it.
We've been doing battle with him and his multiple personalities on Topix. There are several indications in his posts and IP addresses that point to him being incarcerated quite possibly at Folsom prison near Sacramento.

Again, I apologize for barging in. Please feel free to block me and this other person as well

 
At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so funny I just saw GW Williams in concert last night in Hollywood, he sure wasn't in Fulsom Prison.
Infact he's never been there.
He talked about the internet flamers who spread lies about him because he can more than challege the worlds greatest guitar players.
I guess he has people in the music world scared because he's a Christian, just goes to show you how much Christian Bashing is going on in the world today.
Regardless GW Williams, is the greatest living guitarist alive today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home