Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Music When I Was A Kid

>





In terms of music, I was one very lucky teenager. If I liked a musician or a band, I would book them to play my college, Stony Brook. I was chair of the Student Activities Board and much of the music we brought to the school was fairly unknown but on the verge-- like Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, the Who, Jefferson Airplane, the Four Tops (they were already famous), Big Brother, Grateful Dead, Otis Redding, the Blue Oyster Cult (the Soft White Underbelly then), Ravi Shankar, Joni Mitchell, Smokey Robinson, The Band... Bands were so inexpensive to book back then and I had what appeared to me to be an unlimited budget. $400 for the Doors, $1,500 to $3,500 for bands from England, $50 for a random folk singer who had nothing better to do that night.

Me then-- 1965 on the left, 1969 on the right, after 4 years of drugs


Besides the ones who became famous there were lots of others that never became really broke through but who I thought were fantastic and worthwhile. Some I booked as opening acts-- like two kids I met at a Velvet Underground performance in Manhattan, Tim Buckley (for the Doors) and Jackson Browne (for Judy Collins)-- and others I booked to play informal pop-up concerts in the dorm lounges, like The Fugs and Tom Rush.




I spent a lot of time listening to bands in New York and asking them to play my school, an hour away. It's how I met Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison, neither at all really known at the time, as well as Eric Anderson, Tim Hardin and Richie Havens, dozens more. And I'd get everyone out to Stony Brook. Some of the students loved what I was doing and some hated it and hated me for it. Most of the kids were too busy studying to notice.





I met John Hammond at the Cafe Au Go Go and talked him into coming back to Stony Brook and play (for $50). When I was driving him down the Long Island Expressway, his fingers were so steady that he found stations on my car radio that I never knew existed. I had seen him when Jimi Hendrix's band (Jimmy James and the Blue Flames) was his backup band. This is the album he released while I was a freshman:





The bands that were always playing at the Cafe Au Go Go all played Stony Brook-- Paul Butterfield, the Blues Project-- and any band that came to the East Coast I'd co-book with Howard Solomon, the guy who ran the place, like the Youngbloods and Love. And you know what made me think of spending tonight on music? Sandy Bull. I was just in Thailand last week and Sandy Bull's music popped into my head while I was meditating in a Vietnamese temple. The music that was playing just brought Sandy Bull up. Give him a listen. He never got real famous but he was an inspiration for me:





One more thing. I was on acid one time and someone turned me onto an album, The Classical Music of Pakistan by Salamat and Nazikot Ali (usually called the Ali Brothers). I wanted to book them to play so bad. I would listen to that album whenever I got high (basically everyday). But I could never find a way to get in touch with them. I played the album for the Jefferson Airplane when they stayed at my house before a concert. The next album had a song clearly influenced by the Ali Brothers. In 1969 I bought a VW van in Germany and drove to Pakistan to find them. When I got to their small rural village in the mountains I found out they were playing in India. Bummer! A few years later I was working in the restaurant at the Kosmos, the meditation center in Amsterdam. I had just finished washing up and was dead tired and couldn't wait to get home and go to sleep. A friend came down and said, "There's this great band playing upstairs you have to see." I whined about how tired I was and he said I should go to sleep on the floor while listening to them. I didn't have the strength to resist and he dragged me upstairs. It was the Ali Brothers. It was magic.





Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 5:39 AM, Blogger mikeg said...

thanks Howie

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Mr. B. said...

Howie
I was a crew-cutted, button-downed Beach Boys fan when I arrived at Stony Brook. You sure turned me around. In my last job before I retired, my boss was an ex-radio sales guy and a huge music fan. When I'd tell him about the Stony Brook concerts, he was skeptical until I brought my yearbooks to the office and showed him photos of the artists you mentioned. It sure ran the gamut - James Cotton, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, The Who, The Allman Brothers, Moby Grape and all the greats and lesser-known talents you mentioned. It still seems a bit dream-like in retrospect. Thanks for the memories brother.

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Hone said...

Brings us back, huh Howie? You didn't mention Sandy's influence though. Unfortunately I missed out on the hospitality room with the bands due to you know who. And the party at your house with Hendrix and your mother. I did enjoy Albert Lee's visit (Ten Years After) to my dorm room. Great times. Very special. We were lucky to be Boomers.

By the way, the above comment is from Mr. B.

 
At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great selections, Howie! Many thanks!

I'd heard a little of Tim Buckley's music when I was young and before my musical tastes went beyond Top 40.

I had heard OF Tom Rush as he would regularly come to Chicago to perform, but I was still too young to get in to those venues to see him. Except for the fuzz box guitar, there would be no way to know that Rush didn't release "Who Do You Love" recently since that song shows up on so many artists' playlists.

Eric Anderson should have been a bigger act than he was. The only time I ever saw John Hammond, he was on TV and looked like he was on an incredible speed trip. This album you linked to shows that he actually did have a great deal of talent.

I did get to see Paul Butterfield live at Ravinia (are they even still operating, North Shore folk??) Buzzy Feiten was the guitarist for that show.

Sandy Bull reminds me a bit of Bela Fleck, who certainly showed how a banlo COULD be played.

Ah, if only the world still had room for such musicians today. Maybe I'd feel less pessimistic about the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home