Tuesday, October 18, 2011

No Democrat Has Seriously Contested Arkansas' Third District Since Bill Clinton In 1974... Until Now. Meet Ken Aden

>



Edmund Burke would have just not liked Ken Aden-- at least politically-- one little bit. Ken's an engaing, earnest, easy-going and friendly guy, so it would be difficult for anyone to not like him personally. But the Father of Conservative Thought-- and one of the stars of Corey Robin's fantastic book, The Reactionary Mind-- was adamant about social caste and it's boundaries. He would fall into quite the temper if anyone even brought up the topic of equality, something Mr. Aden does discuss and is discussing in his run for the deeply red congressional seat in northwest Arkansas currently occupied by corporate shill and puffed up one-percenter Steve Womack. As you can see in the video above, Ken is very proud of his middle-class background and his middle-class values. He even served under Major Womack in the Arkansas National Guard at one time! Womack was as authoritarian and reactionary then as he is now. He's been calling the Arkansans joining the OccupyWallStreet movement in Fayetteville and Fort Smith a bunch of dirty hippies. Ken Aden doesn't see it that way-- not at all:
"I am a staunch and proud supporter of the Occupy Wall Street Movement. In fact, I helped folks here in Arkansas start an Occupy chapter in the Northern part of our state. This is a true grassroots movement made up of young people, veterans, students, and folks from across the middle class just like me who are sick and tired of irresponsible corporations buying politicians of both parties while many in the government stand idly by and give corporate America the keys to the proverbial candy store. It's truly nauseating to know that so many politicians can be so easily bought, and not even loose an ounce of sleep over the fact that they are destroying everything which we hold dear. I  firmly believe that more people need to become involved, and stand up for what is right! Corporate greed is the new pandemic in this country. The ratio of CEO pay to that of the average worker is a prime example of the kind of reckless behavior that corporations in this country are exercising on a daily basis. Just look at how many politicians Koch Industries has bought over the last ten years alone. As the next congressman from Arkansas I would support an amendment to destroy the destructive influence of Citizens United. The last time I checked, corporations are NOT and will never be real people.

Now before we get to Ken's introduction, let me leave you with two thoughts. First is that if you like what you read about Ken Aden, please consider making a contribution to his canpaign here at the Down WIth Tyranny ActBlue page. And second... a few words from the depths of that most reactionary mind of all, Edmund Burke:
"The real object" of the French Revolution, Burke told Parliament in 1790, is "to break all those connections, natural and civil, that regulate and hold together the community by a chain of subordination; to raise soldiers against their officers; servants against their masters; tradesmen against their customers; artificers against their employers; tenants against their landlords; curates against their bishops; and children against their parents."

I asked Ken to introduce himself to DWT readers. Listen up... I think we'll be hearing a lot more from this guy for, at least, the next twelve months.
My name is Ken Aden, and I'm proud to be running for Congress as a true Progressive Democrat in what’s considered by many to be one of the "reddest" districts in the country.
 
I’m a middle class worker who, for the last eleven years, has served in the U.S. Army as a Paratrooper and Combat Infantryman in Iraq and a host of other places. I know what it’s like to fight, and I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.
 
The incumbent in this district, incidentally, happens to be my former battalion commander in the Arkansas National Guard-- Steve Womack. His corporate ties-- including to Koch Industries-- and blatant disregard for families here in this district have left many residents hungry for change.
 
Oftentimes when I tell people I'm running for Congress here in Arkansas' Third District, I hear a variation of the same question: "If you get elected, what are YOU going to do that's different from the guy we've got now?"  

To answer that question, first and foremost, I tell folks I’m not going to vote to cut Medicare or Social Security. To me, even thinking of making any cuts to these programs is downright criminal. Second, I tell folks that I'm going to put people first and politics last. That, in fact, is my campaign slogan.
 
People here in Arkansas' 3rd-- like people all across America-- are disillusioned with politics in general and especially disillusioned with Congress in particular. They want someone who knows what it’s like to work for a living and someone who will fight for what is right representing them in Washington. 
 
This past week, Tea Party Republicans in Congress voted to take up legislation to further erode a woman's right to choose instead of taking up the President's jobs bill. Seriously….when so many families are out of work they are debating this? It's time to get real. President Obama was right when, quoting Harry Truman, he called the current session of Congress a "do-nothing Congress." With Republicans at the helm, Congress has done nothing to help average Americans.
 
The incumbent in Arkansas' 3rd District, Steve Womack, is a freshman in the Do-Nothing Congress and he's managing to live up to the moniker this Congress has so richly earned. Instead of doing anything to create jobs, he's taken to the airwaves in the district (via his family-owned radio station) to rail against illegal immigration. Instead of working to make sure the wealthiest Americans pay their fair share in taxes, he's doing the bidding of his top contributors like Wal-Mart and Tyson. In fact I refer to him as the Congressman from Wal-Mart!  

I'm running because I believe it’s time to put people first. It will be a tough race, but, as a former Staff Sergeant in the Army's 82nd Airborne Division who saw combat in Iraq, and has been shot at more times than he can count, I know a thing or two about being in a tough fight. I’m proud to say that I have always won those fights, and I intend to win this one.  

Please take a moment and visit my website, sign up for e-mail updates to keep up with the campaign, or make a secure contribution to my campaign through the Down With Tyranny ActBlue page.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Rebekah Kennedy for U.S. Senate said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Rebekah Kennedy for Congress said...

Where were you on October 15th Ken? I was marching with my brothers and sisters at the Occupy NWA Corporate Rule Protest in Fayetteville. I'll be at the General Assembly in Fayetteville tonight and the one in Fort Smith tomorrow if you'd like to join us.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Aden4Arkansas said...

@ Rebekah Kennedy...as you're aware I found out just the other day that my wife and I are expecting our first child. On the eve of such great news I felt it best to spend that time with her. This is not the last event which will be had by the Occupy Movements within the state and we have been in contact with them throughout the entire process. I hope you have a great day...Ken

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Arknative said...

I would think that whether one was 'marching' or not is quite irelevant. There were no doubt many other supporters who did not march on Saturday. Aden has offered material support to Occupy Fort Smith and Occupy North Arkansas. His staff contacted certain individuals connected to Occupy NWA and offered material support prior to the first meeting. It was made clear to the campaign that a high profile role for Aden was not considered appropriate. The campaign has adhered to that requirement.

Perhaps in the spirit of 'full disclosure' you might add that Mr. Aden, along with Mr. Womack are your opponents in this race.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I can tell you Ken was at work on the graveyard shift that night making $7.75 an hour.Such things are necessary when we don't have luxury of our opponents corporate backers. I believe his wife informed him the following night that they will be welcoming their first child into the world soon,after that he sent out an email to the team relaying the good news and since then he has been spending time with his family.Minus the occasional email or phone calls.That being said Ken is set to speak to the occupy Ft. Smith gathering tomorrow. If you have any more questions about Kens whereabouts you can contact me by email jacob4arkansas@gmail

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Gary Heimbach said...

I believe that Ken Aden gives Arkansans and the country the best opportunity to move forward. He has my vote and confidence that he will do the right thing for the people. Visit this page to view his stance on the issues. I think that you too will see that Ken Aden is for People First and Politics Last.
http://www.thepoliticalguide.com/Profiles/house/Arkansas/Ken_Aden/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home