Sunday, May 08, 2011

Ring Lardner Tonight: The busher makes his big-league debut in Part 4 of "You Know Me Al"

>


"So after supper I seen Callahan sitting in the lobby and I went over and sit down by him. I says When are you going to let me work? He says I wouldn't never let you work only my pitchers are all shot to pieces."
-- from Jack's letter of April 15


As we left Jack Keefe Thursday night, he was in Cleveland for the White Sox' Opening Day game against the Indians, writing to his pal Al that he thought Manager Callahan might have him pitch. -- Ken


FOR PART 4 OF YOU KNOW ME AL, CLICK HERE

RING LARDNER'S YOU KNOW ME AL

John Lardner's Introduction (1958), Part 1 and Part 2

Chapter I: A Busher's Letters Home

Part 1: Ring's Preface, and Jack's letters of September 6 and December 14 and 16
Part 2: The busher reaches the bigs -- March 2, 7, 9, and 16
Part 3: Countdown to Opening Day -- March 26 and April 1, 4, 7, and 10
Part 4: Jack makes his big-league debut -- April 11 and 15
Part 5: A major development for Jack -- April 19, 25, and 29

THURBER TONIGHT (including BENCHLEY, WILL CUPPY, WOLCOTT GIBBS, RING LARDNER, BOB AND RAY, E. B. WHITE, and JEAN SHEPHERD TONIGHT): Check out the series to date
#

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home